Thursday, January 17, 2013

Blog Homework (1.17.13)

Matthew Nickerson
LIBR 1101



                My first topic would be on the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle. I practice this lifestyle myself, so relating to the topic is fairly easy and my participation in finding the sources and resources will be easier than something I am not interested in. Vegetarian lifestyles not only deal with the food choices, but healthcare as well which can list doctors resources as well as hospital statistics. Preventative medicine is better than medicine in general, what you eat is always affecting what is happening to you in many cases. Health choices should be many peoples concern in the future as things are becoming expensive and it pays to be healthy.
                The second topic I would research is teas and herbal remedies. Although this relates to the first topic, I believe food and drink are separate things. Herbal teas (ex. Chai) are known nutritious drinks that have positive health effects. China is home to some of the most ancient techniques with herbs and medicines and we as Americans can learn a lot from these people in regards to living longer healthier lives. It fascinates me that Americans have all the resources yet are in the worst health amongst world populations. If our healthcare was not the top quality in the world I wonder where we would be as far as life expectancy and quality of life.  




1 comment:

  1. Matthew,

    I think both of these are interesting ideas, and you've articulated well why they are such crucial issues in our society today. As you note, it's always better to research something you are personally interested in, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to focus on. We'll learn more about the research process in the next couple weeks which should be helpful.

    ReplyDelete